SEMS was formed in 1980 to address a need for professional EMS services in the Smithsburg area. Originally operated solely by volunteers out of the fire department, SEMS grew to fit the needs of our growing population. In 1989 several founding members embarked on an ambitious journey: to build a station devoted to emergency services for the sick and injured. The station was dedicated on November 18, 1990. Now volunteers and career paramedics answer approximately 1200 calls for service to the citizens and visitors of Smithsburg every year.